Slitting Mill Village
Slitting Mill is a hamlet of fewer than 400 people, about one and a quarter miles west of Rugeley on the very edge of Cannock Chase. The village has also been known as Rolling Mill, and Stonehouse.
The name of Slitting Mill is derived from the type of work carried out along the stream where mills would split (slit) wood and metal.
A wire maker at
work using a slitting mill
The stream originates on the Chase, and runs through the village forming a pond. It then runs down past what was once Hagley Hall, again forming a pond, and on to Rugeley and to the Trent.
The road through the village is approximately 1 mile long with rows of terraces dotted along its length.
Cannock Chase was originally an ancient forest owned and used for hunting by the Earls of Mercia and the Plantagenet Kings.
In 1189 Richard the First sold the forest to the Bishop of Lichfield to raise money to fight in the Crusade. As only Kings could own a forest it became a "Chase".
It now forms a precious wildlife habitat, including the largest herd of fallow deer in Britain.
A vivid description of the village of Slitting Mill is contained in a book entitled 'The Best of Cannock Chase' by "Pitman" reprinted by the Express and Star in 1933. We are told that Cannock Chase was a busy place for the smelting of iron as far back as the days of Elizabeth I.
The triangular island at the bottom of Post Office Lane had been 'adopted' by some residents of Slitting Mill, having been abandoned by the Council due to lack of funds. We kept it neat and tidy, and stocked with bulbs, shrubs and annuals so that it was pleasing to look at for everyone who passed by.
Unfortunately it has becaome too much for our old bones and we have asked the Council if they would 'take it back' and are delighted that they now keep it neat and tidy and well stocked with plants.
Copyright © 2014 by LJW
All rights reserved.
Revised: 29 August, 2014